Friday, June 6, 2008


This was done for a friend, who needed it for her friends art project. Or something. Basically, I had to make a book cover with my friends name on it, to hold her place in the fine arts library at Elam. She wanted vines, but she didn't know what kind, or how they would work. So I drew a few ideas up, and this was the one she liked most. I was originally going to be thick green vines all around the book, but halfway through, a very good friend of mine died, and it kind of crept into the design, I think for the better(not that it was for the better Skoota died). So although it was started as a basic project for someone, it has turned into something very personal. And I'm glad it will be shared with many people, even if they don't know what they are looking at. I intend to do something in Skootas memory, but for the meantime, this will have to do.
A few technical points.
1. I didn't have a pattern, it was just playing around. This is how I do about half my work, and the rest I either have a pattern, or just a basic idea of a pattern (like a knitPro thing). It works for me, but I know I should start making patterns for my work.
2. The lettering sucks. A lot. I do realize this. What happened was I had a week to do this. I started out well, and then lost about 3 days due to the death of Skoota. So I ended up doing the majority of it the night before, finally finishing at about 2 in the morning. Or so I thought. MC was coming over early the next day to pick it up, and as I was drifting off to sleep, I remembered I was supposed to write her name down the spine. I was going to get up and do it, but I just couldn't. You try and get a 8 months pregnant woman up in the middle of winter at three in the morning to do fiddly shit like that. I'll get up in the morning and do it, I said to myself (deluding myself, more like). I woke up at eight, exhausted, blurry eyed, with massively swollen hands, that were cramped into this strange, puffy, claw like monster. I had a really pretty font picked out, but in the end all I had time to do was backstitch it, and badly at that. I ran out of room. In my defense, it was early, I'm not allowed coffee, and she has one long arse name. So yeah, the name is crap. Sorry. Aside from that, I am pleased with the way it turned out.
I know this is not very geeky, or very radical, but it is something. I'm working on a couple of things, so perhaps they will be better.

No comments: